Sunday, August 23, 2009

What is Risk??

1. Risk is a probability that some adverse circumstance will occur

a. Project risks affect schedule or resources.
b. Product risks affect the quantity of performance of the software being developed.
c. Business risks affect the organization developing or procuring the software.

2. SOFTWARE RISKS:

a. Staff turnover
- it affects the project.
- Experienced staff will leave the project before it is finished.

b. Management change
- it affects the project.
- There will be a change of organizational management with
different priorities.

c. Hardware unavailability
- it affects the project.
- Hardware that is essential for the project will not be
delivered on schedule.

d. Requirements change
- it affects the project and the product
- There will be a larger number of changes to the requirements
than anticipated.

e. Specification delays
- it affects the project and the product.
- Specifications of essential interfaces are not available on schedule.

3. Risk Management Strategies

Risk: Organizational financial problems
Strategy: Prepare a briefing document for senior manage-
problems ment showing how the project is making a very
important contribution to the goals of the
business.

Risk: Recruitment problems
Strategy: Alert customer of potential difficulties and the
possibility of delays, investigate buying-in
components.

Risk: Staff illness
Strategy: Reorganize team so that there is more overlap
of work and people therefore understand
each other jobs.

Risk: Defective components
Strategy: Replace potentially defective components with bought-in components of known reliability

Risk: Requirement changes
Strategy: Derive traceability information to asses requirements change impeact, maximze information hiding in the design.

Risk: Organizational restructuring
Strategy: Prepare a briefing document for senior management showing how the project is making a very important contribution to the goals of the business.

Risk: Database performance
Strategy: Investigate the possibility of buying a higher-performance database.

Risk: Underestimated development time
Strategy: Investigat buying components, investigate use of a program generator.

4. Before making a decision, we must first consider the consequences of it. If I were on this situation, I will accept the demand from my manager, and would not involve my project team to work with me because I know, they all have young children, and I must consider first their families' sake that myself. I am asked by a manager, therefore, i should have to obey him. Although I will work unpaid overtime, it's quite alright, because software analyst should do his duties and responsibilities on time without a doubt, and without making anyone involve especially that person have some priorities to be considered above all.
5. As for me, in accepting this job, I think it is much better if I will be a project manager in the software project and at the same time, a programmer. Because programmers were not only be the one who plan the development of the software project, but also the project managers. Furthermore, it's also regretting for myself that I would not apply what I have learned from the training on Java Programming, therefore, I f i should accept this job, I prefer to have two tasks concurrently, a project manager and a programmer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment